Translate

Tuesday 23 July 2013

TWOS-day Review - Part 2 - The World's End

            Hello! Like I said earlier, today's review is actually two reviews, if you didn't see it already, I reviewed Monster's University here earlier today. Without too much waffling, (I did that already) here's what I thought of the final instalment of the 'Cornetto Trilogy'.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1213663/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
             Put simply, The World's End is a film about a pub crawl. This pub crawl began 20 years earlier and didn't go according to plan. Cue Simon Pegg as Gary King - keen to relive the glory days with the same four friends; Andy, (Nick Frost) Peter, (Eddie Marsan) Steven, (Paddy Considine) and Oliver 'O-Man' (Martin Freeman).
Back in the day -http://splitsider.com/2013/07/early-reviews-
of-the-worlds-end-are-unanimously-positive/
All grown up. Sort of. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies
/news/a468529/simon-pegg-discusses-the-worlds-end-characters.html
        The film was released on the 18th of July, 2013; six years after the second instalment of the trilogy - Hot Fuzz, and nine years after the one that kicked it all off - Shaun of the Dead. I was pretty excited that I was able to see the film at midnight on release day - for a while, I didn't even know if I'd get to see it. I do wish I'd been able to see the whole trilogy at once, but I wonder if maybe it would be a bit much in one sitting.
           Just in case you haven't seen it, here's one of the trailers:


          I had really high expectations of this film - I love the first two parts of the trilogy, and I generally like  Nick Frost and Simon Pegg's other projects (and we're all aware how much I adore Martin Freeman) - and I can honestly say I was not disappointed at all. The jokes are just as funny, the characters just as quirky, and I liked that there was a role reversal between Frost and Pegg's respective characters. In addition to this, it was great to see some cameos from other British actors, such as Mark Heap, Bill Nighy, David Bradley, and Pierce Brosnan
           I was so ready to give this film five pandas - I loved it while I was watching it, I laughed out loud on more than one occasion and thought that the storyline (if you can call it that) was simply brilliant. However, I had a conversation with my friend Callum - whose opinion on films I tend to share, and he felt that it 'relied too much on Simon Pegg's character calling people c**ts' and also, that his character 'wasn't likeable'. For how much I laughed, I have to say I did notice the massive increase in swearing. In the two films preceding this one, there are a few instances of very strong language, and because they are infrequent and surprising, it adds to the comedy - this film was somewhat inundated with them. 
           That being said, I still laughed each time, and one of the best lines in the film includes that word, (and without any spoilers - also includes Legoland; for anyone who's seen it - you'll know which line I mean). I also agree with him that Simon Pegg's character wasn't as likeable as his others; I found myself feeling quite sorry for him on a few occasions. 
           With all that in mind, I still really loved the film, and I cannot wait for it to come out on DVD so that I can have my own Cornetto Trilogy night. I give this film four and three-quarters of a panda, only because I wish I loved Simon Pegg's character a tiny bit more, but I couldn't bring myself to take off a whole half of a panda.

          So, that concludes our 100% extra free Tuesday review! Have a great week, I'll be back Friday with part 2 of Seasons. 
                                               Thanks for reading! Laura
                                                                              xoxoxox           


            **Editor's note**
       
     Initially, I really loved this film and was so happy to give it almost the whole five pandas. However, upon further reflection, and conversations with so many people, I think I may have been a bit generous. I already mentioned what Callum said, and I agree with him. But it has also been said by more than one of my friends, and other people who review films a lot, that it felt a tiny bit rushed. It felt like it wanted to get all the jokes in and wasn't as gritty as Hot Fuzz or Shaun of the Dead, and not as much time was dedicated to making us care about the characters. These are fair points and I agree with them wholeheartedly. I don't want to penalise the film too much because I still really enjoyed it and will definitely get it on DVD and watch it again. All things considered, I think I'm going to take away the three-quarters of a panda. This is now a four panda film.


        Laura - xoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment